Molecular Imaging Bibliography
The following list of research and review papers was compiled by members of the CMIIT Communications Task Force. It is designed to serve as a resource for students, researchers, and educators. Nominations for additional articles to be included in this resource are welcomed and may be sent to email@example.com.
For references specific to optical imaging, see the Optical Imaging Bibliography.
For references specific to brain imaging, please see Key Amyloid Imaging References.
General molecular imaging
- Contag CH. In Vivo Pathology:Seeing with Molecular Specificity and Cellular Resolution in the Living Body. Annual Review of Pathology: Mechanisms of Disease. 2007;2:277–305.
- Jaffer FA, Weissleder R. Molecular imaging in the clinical arena. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2005;293:855–862 .
- Massoud T, Gambhir, SS. Integrating noninvasive molecular imaging into molecular medicine: an evolving paradigm. Trends in Molecular Medicine. 2007;13:183–191.
- Massoud TF, Gambhir SS. Molecular imaging in living subjects: seeing fundamental biological processes in a new light. Genes and Development. 2003;17:545–580.
- Miller J, Thrall J. Clinical molecular imaging. Journal of the American College of Radiology. 2004;1(suppl 1):4–23.
- Weissleder R, Mahmood U. Molecular Imaging. Radiology. 2001;219:316–333.
- Weissleder R, Ntziachristos V. Shedding light onto live molecular targets. Nature Medicine. 2003;9:123–128.
- Concepts and Strategies for Molecular Imaging, Chemical Reviews. 2010(4)110:2575-3298.
- Gambhir SS. Molecular imaging of cancer with positron emission tomography. Nature Reviews Cancer. 2002;2:683–693
- Mankoff DA, Eary JF, Link JF, et al. Tumor-specific PET imaging in patients: FDG and beyond. Clinical Cancer Research. 2007;13:3460–9.
- Mankoff DA, et al. Molecular imaging research in the outcomes era: measuring outcomes for individualized cancer therapy. Academic Radiology. 2007;14:398–405.
- Molecular Imaging of Cancer: From Molecules to Humans. Gambhir SS, editor, Journal of Nuclear Medicine. 2008;49:Suppl 2.
- Weissleder R. Molecular imaging in cancer. Science. 2006;312:1168–1171.
- Weissleder R. Scaling down imaging: Molecular mapping of cancer in mice. Nature Reviews Cancer. 2002;2:11–18.
- Weissleder R, Pittet MJ. Imaging in the era of molecular oncology. Nature. 2008;452:580–589.
- Wester H-J. Nuclear imaging probes:from bench to bedside. Clinical Cancer Research. 2007;13:3470–3481.
Cardiovascular molecular imaging
- Wu JC, Bengel FM, Gambhir SS. Cardiovascular molecular imaging. Radiology. 2007;244:337–55.
Imaging gene expression
- Gross S, Piwnica-Worms D. Spying on Cancer:Molecular Imaging in vivo with genetically encoded reporters. Cancer Cell. 2005;7:5–15.
- Gross S, Piwnica-Worms D. Veni, Vidi, Vici: In Vivo Molecular Imaging of Immune Response. Immunity. 2007;27:533–538.
- Herschman HR. Noninvasive imaging of reporter gene expression in living subjects. Advances in Cancer Research. 2004:92;29–80.
- Villalobos V, Naik S, Piwnica-Worms D. Current State of Imaging Protein-Protein Interactions In Vivo with Genetically Encoded Reporters. Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering. 2007;9:321–349.
Molecular imaging and drug development
- Gross S, Piwnica-Worms D, Molecular imaging strategies for drug discovery and development. Current Opinion in Chemical Biology. 2006;10:334–342.
- Hargreaves RJ. The role of molecular imaging in drug discovery and development. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2008;83:349–353.
- Rudin M, Weissleder R. Molecular Imaging in Drug Discovery and Development. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery. 2003;2:123–131.
- Willman JK, van Bruggen N, Dinkelborg LM, Gambhir SS. Molecular imaging in drug development. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery. 2008;7:591–607.
Instrumentation and methods
- Cherry SR. In vivo molecular and genomic imaging: new challenges for imaging physics. Physics in Medicine and Biology. 2004;49:R13–R48.
- Cherry SR. Multimodality in vivo imaging systems: Twice the power or double the trouble? Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering. 2006;8:35–62.
- Koo V, Hamilton P, Williamson K. Non-invasive in vivo imaging in small animal research. Cellular Oncology. 2006;28:127–139.
- Lecchi M, et al. Instrumentation and probes for molecular and cellular imaging. Quarterly Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. 2007;51:111–26.
- Levin CS, Primer on molecular imaging technology. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. 2005;32(suppl 2):S325–S345.
- Lyons, SK. Advances in imaging mouse tumour models in vivo. Journal of Pathology. 2005;205:194–205.
- Margolis DJA, Hoffman JM, Herfkens RJ, Jeffrey RB, Quon A, Gambhir SS. Molecular Imaging Techniques in Body Imaging. Radiology. 2007, 245:333–356.
- Meikle SR, Kench P, Kassiou M, R Banati RG. Small animal SPECT and its place in the matrix of molecular imaging technologies, Physics in Medicine and Biology. 2005;50:R45–R61.
- Ntziachristos V. Fluorescence molecular imaging. Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering. 2006;8:1–33.
- Park JM, Gambhir SS. Multimodality radionuclide, fluorescence, and bioluminescence small-animal imaging. Proceedings of the IEEE. 2005;3:771–783.
- Rao JH, Dragulescu-Andrasi A, Yao, HQ, et al. Fluorescence imaging in vivo: recent advances. Current Opinion in Biotechnology. 2007;18:17–25.
- Shaner NC, Stienbach PA, Tsien RY. A guide to choosing fluorescent proteins. Nature Methods. 2005,2:905–909.
- Thorne SH, Contag CH. Using in vivo bioluminescence imaging to shed light on cancer biology. Proceedings of the IEEE. 2005;93:750–762.